C5: Vascular Risk Factor Modification
This program is in collaboration with the Society for Vascular Medicine.
This course was presented at VAM2019.
This session will be devoted to risk factor modification and education for vascular surgery patients. Speakers will include vascular surgeons, as well as vascular medicine specialists in this collaborative session. Experts in vascular risk factor modification - including tobacco cessation specialists (OTS certified) - they will discuss effects of this reduction for commonly identified diseases in vascular surgery patients (including cardiac, hypertension, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, or renal disease physicians). Time will also be dedicated to the role of exercise and fitness in the treatment of the root cause of chronic vascular disease. Additionally, financial implications (billing etc) will be covered.
- Setting the Stage: Risk Factor Modification in Vascular Disease - Heather Gornik, MD
- Tobacco Cessation Techniques for Practicing Vascular Surgeons - Matthew Smeds, MD
- Approach to Medical Therapy for Patients with PAD in 2019 - Natalie Evans, MD
- Diabetes Management for the Vascular Patient: What the Vascular Surgeon Should Know - Yazan Duwayri, MD
- How to Implement a Standardized Walking Program for Claudication - Richard Neville, MD
- Functional Fitness: Exercise and Training Beyond Walking - Daniel Urcuyo, MD
- Panel Discussion
- Provide a review of risk factor modification.
- Further collaboration and multidisciplinary care of the patient with chronic vascular disease (beyond interventions and surgical therapies).
- Explore treatment and control of the root causes of chronic vascular disease.